DriveThruRPG.com

Monday, January 12, 2009

Sin City Dispatch #10: Bring on the Sneaky Gitz!

Hey everyone, and welcome to issue #10 of the Dispatch!

In this issue, we are coming to check out the new releases that will be hitting the shelves for 40k in Incoming!!! Next, we will again go to the Workbench to take a look at my brand new Brood Lord. He might look like C'thulu to you, but it works for me! Then we will head out to BattleZone Comics for another Battle Report as I square off against Matt again, but this time I have a trick up my sleeve... Last but not least, we will wrap things up with a new segment called Feedback (creative, ain't it?). This is where we will take a look at comments from readers just like you! So without further ado, sit down and strap in because we are about to hit the ground running!

Incoming!!!
Upcoming releases for Warhammer 40,000

This will be a big month for the Ork as we hit Janu-Waaagh-ry moving flat out in a Go Fasta Red Trukk! First up is the long awaited Battlewagon.

Weighing in at a whooping 113 pieces, this kit lets you customize your battlewagon in almost any way imaginable. 'ard top, open top, big shootas, kannon, the list goes on and on. There have been some complaints that this model is not big enough but when you consider all of the bitz that come in the kit, it would be hard to pass up on this model. Even if you just use parts of it for conversions, this model is well worth the money.

Next up is the new Ork Nob plastic kit.

With almost as many pieces in it as the Battlewagon, this new Nob kit gives you a massive range of options so that you can kit these brutes out virtually any way that you want. Combine a ton of options with great looking minis and this one is another must buy for an Ork player.

Up next is another new and improved kit, the Ork Stormboyz.

It used to be that you had to buy seperate metal jet packs to mount on your plastic boyz to make a unit of Stormboyz, but not anymore! With their own boxed set hitting the shelves, these are another great set of minis. With lots of options and even more character, this is another set that I can see Ork players picking up because it is another really nice set. Tons of options, tons of bitz, and some nice looking minis to boot.

Isn't it fitting that one of the last releases in Janu-Waaagh-ry is the new Gretchin mob?

Packed with a runtherd and ten gretchin, this is a great value and means that people will finally be able to field massive units of gretchin bullet shields without spending a ton of cash. When you add in the modeling possibilities (riggers, ammo runts, and orderlies...), this is another must buy for any serious Ork player. After all, even if you don't field them as a unit, just think how much better your Warboss will feel knowing that his grot is there for good swift kick when things aren't going his way.

From the Workbench
Build Your Own Brood Lord

As I mentioned in the last issue of the Dispatch, I decided to make my own Brood Lord instead of buying the one that is currently in production. Why would I do this? No real reason to be honest. The model that is in production is not a bad looking mini but since I had some Warriors on hand I figured I might as well try my hand at converting one of them into my Brood Lord. After all, practice makes perfect, right?

As I mentioned before, I decided to use one of the old metal Tyranid warrior heads for my Brood Lord but I still needed to add some tentacles since he has feeder tendrils. To make this stronger, I actually drilled a hole in the jaw of the head so that the putty could go straight through and wrap around the front to give it a stronger hold. Once this was done, it was easy enough to roll out some tentacles and add them to the front to complete the look. With this done, it was just a case of adding some rending claws and scything talons to the mini and voila! Instant Brood Lord!

As I said, it does look a little C'thulhu-esque and it is definitely not the same as the stock Brood Lord but I like it and that is what really matters, right? Well, that and the fact that it was basically free. What's not to like about that, right?

In the next Workbench, I'll be working on something. Haven't decided exactly what but I am thinking that it will be more for the Cult as I would like to finish that before I get off onto to much of a tangent. Either way, we'll find out soon!

Feedback...
It's Only Bad When You Don't Want It

In the past, I have just responded to comments on the blog right on the blog. This is all well and good, but I want to try something new to for a change so I am going to start responding to any comments right in the Dispatch. I always love to get any kind of Feedback and maybe this will encourage more people to leave it.

To get this rolling, I have this comment from Teneb.

"Just wanted to drop a quick comment - I'm a new AT-43 gamer and stumbled upon your blog. It's entertaining to read, and I find myself checking back often. Thanks for contributing to the community!

-Teneb"

Thank you very much for your kind words, Teneb. I have fun typing it up and it's great to know that there are people out there who are enjoying it too.

As for AT-43, I hope that you are also enjoying the game as much as I did. It is a very fast paced game compared to some of the others out there and I really like how it incorporates the command aspect into the game as well. Wanna cripple your opponent? Have those snipers start pegging his officers and heros, then we'll see just how effective his army really is!

That wraps up the Feedback for this issue, but if you have something you want to say feel free to drop me a line. Good, bad, or even just random comments are always welcome, so go ahead and start typing!

The Parting Shot...

Well, that about wraps it up for this issue of the Dispatch. What's that? The Battle Report? No, I didn't forget, I just decided to save that for the next issue. I did tell you that I had a trick up my sleeve, remember? : ) Be sure to come back to here about the game as it was a cliff hanger but until then, may all of your dice come up Dragons!

No comments: