DriveThruRPG.com

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Audio Noise: What does it mean?!? WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!?!?

Hello everyone and welcome to a definitive installment of the Dispatch!

For this one, we are going to do something a little different as we take a look at just what it all means. Life. The Universe. EVERYTHING!!! Or at least all the little comments I put into Audio Noise. I think that most of them are pretty straight-forward but I thought I'd take this moment to run through it for clarity's sake.

Defining The Noise

Intro and Cover Art: There's no point in talking about something if you don't say what it is which is what this part is all about. Expect a brief introduction, a link to the podcast, and (usually) a pretty picture so that you can see who's in the spotlight this week.

Focus: Every podcast is about something. Well, in theory at least. Some of them do get pretty broad but I try to cover the highlights here so that you know what you are getting into.

Audio Quality: This is just what the name says but what does it really mean? Honestly, I think that most podcasts that you find today have very good audio quality. There are some exceptions but they are pretty far between. This does not take any random noise into account (dice rolling, belching, other various and myriad noises that you find on the net) but just the overall quality of the recording. Needless to say most reviews will score high here because it's almost a gimme.

Content Quality: While the Audio Quality is pretty easy to define, Content is not so much as it is much more subjective. I generally try to look at how engaging the 'cast is. If they keep my interest and enjoyable to listen to, then they will score high. If I find myself wanting to yell at my iPod in the mad hope that the idiots on the other side can hear me telling them to stop tapping on the damn table... well, then not so high. Not very scientific I know but as long as I can convey a general idea of the quality it works for me.

Average Length: Think this one explains itself but keep in mind that this is just the average. Some might be longer, others shorter, but I try to give you some kind of an idea what to expect.

Language: Virtually all the podcasts that I listen to are marked as explicit. I live in the real world and people swear there, it's as simple as that. What I try to do is give you an idea how extreme they get. Most of them are pretty average but there are some that go to extremes and I try to point these out. As they say, forewarned is forearmed.

Detailed review: This is the meat of the review where we look at anything more specific that caught my eye about the podcast, be they good or bad. If there are specific good things, I try to highlight them and why they're good. If there are bad things, well I try to do the same. Too many people on the internet like to scream "This is bullshit!" without explaining why. How you're supposed to learn from that I'll never know which is why I try not to do that. Then again you should also keep in mind that these are only the things that I like and don't like. Maybe you don't like to listen to things that are interesting. Heck, maybe you can't think of anything better to do then listen to some random person belch into a microphone. If that's what floats your boat, more power to you... just keep your boat over there, okay?

The Parting Shot

And there you have it! This is what the Noise is all about. Hopefully this clears up any confusion but if not, feel free to either leave a comment here on the blog or send me an email to SinCitySnowman@gmail.com. Also, if you have something that you are enjoying listening to, be sure to pass on the good word. I'm always looking for more audio goodness out there. Next week, we'll be getting back to the actual Noise but until then remember: when you're given a choice, take both!

No comments: