DriveThruRPG.com

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Dem Bones, Dem Bones, Dem Reaper Bones

As most of you have probably noticed by now I really like Reaper Miniatures.  They have an extremely diverse selection of miniatures and a search engine to help you find just the one that you're looking for.  So what could they possibly do to make it better?  Well I'd definitely say that their new Dark Heaven Bones line is a step in the right direction!


For those of you that might not have heard about these, Bones are a new line of miniatures made out of plastic.  This allows for some great conversion possibilities as we all know that plastics are much easier to work with in that regard.  They can also be painted right out of the package.  How well do they paint up?  Here are some examples from my pack of kobolds that I recently picked up.


I'm happy with how they turned out but it did take a couple coats to get good coverage and you definitely have to wash them before you even try to paint them or you can forget about the paint sticking.  While I was painting them I also noticed that the details didn't seem as crisp as metal Reaper Minis that I've painted in the past but I think this is probably a result of the plastic material that they used.  Rather than a hard plastic the Bones material is pretty soft and flexible which I wasn't expecting.
Overall I think this is pretty much a wash between the good and the bad aspects until you get to the price.  The two packs of six kobolds cost about a dollar more than a single pack of metal figures that only contains three.  Twelve figures for seven bucks which is one helluva bargain.

So how does this all balance out?  Well, I definitely like the price (I mean really, who wouldn't?) and the other pros and cons really do seem like a wash so I'd definitely suggest checking them out if there's something that catches your eye.  Right now the selection in the Bones range is pretty limited, consisting of a total of twelve different packs but I imagine Reaper will expand this if they are well received.  Until next time...

2 comments:

Shannon Stiltz said...

We are working to remedy the limited selection. We have started a Bones Kickstarter! Check it out and see the new models in the set!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-an-evolution-of-gaming-min?ref=home_location

Sin City Snowman said...

Just saw that earlier today and I can't wait! Good collection of models and the stretch goals make make an incredible value even more unbelievable!