DriveThruRPG.com

Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Plan Part Deux: ...And While That's Happening We'll Do This.

I already touched on part of my plan for this year but that was strictly focused on the miniatures and there is much more to gaming than just that, namely board games!  I enjoy miniature gaming but my wife and the Munchkin aren't into those so board games are a great way for us to sit down and do something as a family.  Unfortunately our collection tends to grow in fits and spurts but this year I want to focus on picking up some of the more interesting titles that have come out in addition to dusting off some of our old games.  I figure I'll write up reviews of the older games as we play them (so more on them later...) but I figure this is a good place to look at some of the newer games that I've got my eyes on.

1) Small World by Days of Wonder


Yeah, I know that I'm a few years behind the curve on this one but like I said, growth on the board game front has been a little erratic.  I've actually been thinking about this one ever since it first came out but I've just never plunked down the cash for it.  Having watched some reviews of it though I've decided I need to bite the bullet and plan on picking this one up very soon.

2) Sentinels Of The Multiverse by Greater Than Games


This one is a slightly more recent release that's I've been thinking about for a while now but superhero games just leave me a little leery.  Don't get me wrong; I love the genre but finding a game that can both capture the comic book feel and interest the family seemed like it might be a tall order.  After checking out some reviews (and watching Ultimate Spider-Man on Netflix with the family...), I feel pretty confident that this game will be well received.

3) X-Wing by Fantasy Flight Games


It's Star Wars.  By Fantasy Flight.  Just don't see what's not to love.  I'm not sure how much interest there will be for this one from the family as they've never really shown an interest in miniature games but this just looks too cool not to pick up.  As an added bonus, there are a number of expansions already out or on the way that give you lots of options for scenarios, not to mention that the figures look really sweet!

4) Summoner Wars by Plaid Hat Games


Yeah, I already own this one but I don't own all the expansions yet!  The Munchkin and I really enjoyed this game so I'm excited to pick up more of the factions to give us some more options, plus I might pick up a second board so we can play some larger games as well.


5) Forbidden Desert by Gamewright


We already own and love Forbidden Island so when I found out that they were reimplementing the mechanics with Forbidden Desert it sold itself immediately.  Now we just have to wait for it to actually get released.

Of course this isn't all that I've been looking at but between these and the games that I want to haul out of the closet I figure this is a good start for the beginning of the year.  That's all for now but we've already dug up one game from our collection and I'll have a review of it soon.  Until next time...

2 comments:

ado said...

Dude,
Check out the new version of Netrunner when you get a chance. It is basically the old game with better art and the LCG format is so much better for this game.

Sin City Snowman said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I'd noticed that one on BGG before but never really looked into it. I'll definitely check it out though, especially if its LCG! So much better than collectible format.