DriveThruRPG.com

Friday, February 1, 2013

Workbench: Gather The Armies For War!!!

Things have been a little quiet lately here in Snowman's Land thanks to a helping of the creeping crud being passed around at work.  Thankfully we're all better now and I can start getting things back into gear.  To that end I started work on my Colonials (now that I actually have bases! yay!) and I've started toying with the idea of putting together a completely unofficial Imperial Guard army (though I might just put together a small force for this as I don't feel like painting hundreds of guardsmen right now).
 
But hold on, that's not all!
 
I also picked up the Cryx faction deck for Warmachine Mark II, the game that I swore I'd never play.  Why would I do something so insane and irrational?  Let me explain...
 
Before the Big Hunt game last month, I spent some time talking with Dyllon, the manager of the gaming store who also used to work at the LGS that I used to game at.  Part of the reason that I'd gotten out of Warmachine (other than not being a fan of some aspects of the Mark II rules...) was the community at the old store was hyper-focused on Tournament play.  Don't get me wrong, tournies can be fun but to only play tournies just became a grind and some of the players took it a little too seriously.  Sure, there's the whole "play like you've got a pair" mentality of Warmachine but this doesn't mean that you need to be a dick about it.
 
By contrast, Dyllon told me that at the new store they have cracked down on the problem players and really turned things around, bringing the fun back into the game which was enough to peek my interest.  Since I already have a pretty good size Cryx army (which you can see pictures of here) it just seems logical to dust them off and see just what this new community is like.
 
And that's about it for now!  As work progresses with my Colonials I'll be sure to get more pictures up, plus I have some more game reviews coming soon and there's always that Aphid gunship that I was going to build and my own version of the Big Hunt...  But more on those later.  Until next time...

2 comments:

ado said...

Dude,
I thought for sure you'd be first in line for the new Cyriss faction in Warmachine!

Sin City Snowman said...

Let me tell you its tempting as the minis look pretty cool but for now I'm going to stick with Cryx since 1) I already own them and 2) they're already painted. Not to mention I also have mercs, Khador, and Trollbloods to finish up before I start adding more factions to the mix.